Followers

Sunday, September 8, 2013

The Baptistry of San Giovani - A Layer Cake?

In Chapter 53 of Dan Brown's latest novel, "Inferno", Robert Langdon and Sienna Brooks find themselves at The Baptistry of San Giovani in Florence.

Brown describes it like this:

"Adorned in the same polychromatic facing stones and striped pilasters as the cathedral, the baptistry distinguished itself from the larger building by its striking shape - a perfect octagon. Resembling a layer cake, some had claimed, the eight-sided structure consisted of three distinct tiers that ascended to a shallow white roof."

Here is a picture of the Baptistry of San Giovani:



And here's a layer cake:


And this is a traditional Sarawak layer cake:



I say that is quite an accurate comparison!

4 comments:

  1. Howdy! I could have sworn I've visited this website before but after looking
    at a few of the articles I realized it's new to me. Anyways, I'm certainly pleased I stumbled upon it
    and I'll be bookmarking it and checking back frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Admiring the commitment you put into your site and detailed information you provide.
    It's nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same out
    of date rehashed material. Fantastic read!

    I've bookmarked your site and I'm including your RSS feeds
    to my Google account.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I am so excited I found your webpage, I really found you by error,
    while I was searching on Aol for something else, Nonetheless
    I am here now and would just like to say kudos for a fantastic post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to look over
    it all at the moment but I have saved it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have
    time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the
    superb job.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...