Followers

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

A for Ambigram


Posting the A-Z of Dan Brown's books through his words, characters, places and more. Welcome to the A-Z April 2015 challenge...


A is for Ambigram

The word 'Illuminati' in this ambigram can be read right-side up as well as upside down


"Although accounts of the Illuminati emblem were legendary in modern symbology, no academic had ever actually seen it. Ancient documents described the symbol as an ambigram - ambi meaning 'both' - signifying it was legible both ways. And although ambigrams were common in symbology - swastikas, yin yang, Jewish stars, simple crosses - the idea that a word could be crafted into an ambigram seemed utterly impossible. Modern symbologists had tried for years to forge the word 'Illuminati' into a perfectly symmetrical style, but they had failed miserably. Most academics had now decided the symbol's existence was a myth."

- from Angels and Demons, chapter 9


Another ambigram featuring the words 'earth', 'air', 'fire' and 'water'

8 comments:

  1. I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't read any Dan Brown books, but I have seen the movies. The books are on my to-read list.

    Is the line Tom Hanks says about faith being a gift he has not yet received in the book? I've always loved that, just thought it was such a lovely response.

    Thanks for dropping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is cool! So glad I dropped by (visiting from A-Z...I'm a few above you on the list: www.storycrossings.com/blog). I look forward to your Dan Brown posts. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post featuring "A" --- and I love the thematic connection to Dan Brown.

    I've read most of his works - and loved them - great books featuring just enough adventure based on wonderfully fascinating materials/ ideas.

    Ambigrams are brilliantly interesting as art, as well as means of coding etc.

    Great start! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's wild. Took me a moment, but I can see the words now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved looking at both of the ambigrams you featured, especially the earth/air/fire/water one. Happy A to Z-ing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always loved Dan Brown's writing style. The short chapters work for me. It keeps the pace moving along and it's so easy to think "I can read one more chapter" before doing whatever else life is trying to tell you to do. The ambigrams are cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been a bit slacking with this blog! Thanks for commenting; I'm trying to get this thing up again

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...